behold the rare Gryffindork! I was too impatient to do finishing work/ don’t have a blocking board yet because I’m poor, so I have curly earflaps and loose ends. and I’m also in the process of packing all my stuff for college so my backgrounds are a little messy. apologies for both of those things. but here’s what you really care about, the moddddds:
yarn- knit picks wool of the andes worsted in (A) Garnet Heather and (B) Turmeric, a skein of each.
needles- size 4 (I’m a wicked loose knitter, don’t judge.) 24” circular
pattern this is based off of, that costs 0 dollars- HP house bags (and if you don’t want to make a hat with my poorly written mods, go knit yoself a beautiful bag! they have all four houses. but you know, Ravenclaw forever.)
Using a tubular cast-on, I CO 7 stitches with the red. To be honest, I started this a long time ago and don’t remember the exact stitch pattern for the earflaps, but basically I maintained red edge stitches and knit salt-and-pepper with the two colors. Every other row, I increased with a *k1, m1, knit to last stitch, m1, k1*. I ended when I had 23 stitches and then repeated for the other earflap.
I’m actually super bad at the part where you cast on the rest of your stitches and attach the earflaps, so I won’t attempt to explain how to do that. But I had 42 stitches between flaps on the back, and 50 on the front. I cast on in alternating colors, mostly because I was already doing salt-and-pepper. (So that makes 138 stitches total. My friend wanted a hat with a 23” circumference, and if you do the math, that means 6 sts/in. My gauge was also 6.5 rows/in, making the griffin crest about 6 inches from tip to top.)
I knit one round in red, one in gold, and then started at row 13 on the Gryffindor chart. My griffin is not perfectly centered, on purpose. As you can probably see in the photos, I left the little salt-and-pepper pieces off, mostly to save space and simplify what was already getting kind of complicated. Thankfully, she didn’t mind it being pretty slouchy. As soon as I got the top edge of the crest done I went in for decreases. Brilliantly, I did not write down what I did. I know the first row was *knit 2, k2tog* all the way around in red. All the rest of my rounds were *knit 1, k2tog*, except for the last few, where I just k2tog all the way around. All of the decrease rounds were done in red, with knit ones in gold after each. So, pretty stripes! I do know that I had 8 stitches when I pulled (both strands of) my yarn through.
in sum? I was really happy that this worked, because somehow it did. it is big, but I actually do really love the slouch, and the way the striped crown looks. I’m not big on earflaps (mostly because I alway jack up the construction and have to do it five times) but it’s not for me. Knitting a sockweight bag pattern into a worsted weight hat pattern has its setbacks, and it probably would have been easier if a) I had a tighter gauge, b) I went with a lighter yarn (though WotA had perfect colors in worsted only), and c) I sketched it out first. But hey, no going back now.
So there you go. If I figure out whatever the hell I did with the crown, I may ditch the HP theme and try to work this into an original pattern. Because even if I was winging it at the time, it really does look quite pretty now.